Why use Quality Compost?
Using quality compost improves soil structure, fertility and general soil health. Healthy soil is essential for healthy plants and landscapes! Compost can do a lot of the hard work for you by increasing the water holding and nutrient capacity of soil, meaning that less water and fertiliser is required for ongoing maintenance. This can significantly reduce maintenance costs and makes compost a very cost effective option.
As compost can improve soil structure, it can also be used to repair problem soils. Using quality compost on/in the sandy soils of WA will improve soil structure and the water and nutrient holding capacity of the soil. This means that plants have access to both water and nutrients for longer periods of time, ensuring better plant growth. Improved soil structure also helps to prevent soil erosion, as does the addition of quality compost mulch into the landscape. Compost mulch will also help to control weeds, further reducing landscape inputs like herbicide and labour costs.
Key benefits of compost:
- Increased soil organic matter
- Improved soil structure and fertility
- Increased water and nutrient holding
- Improved drainage and reduced erosion
- Easy to use and cost effective
- Improved plant vigor
- Improved yields
- Suppresses disease
Compost can also:
- Store carbon in the soil
- Reduce nutrient flows into water ways, lakes and coastal waters
- Reduce the need for chemical fertilisers
- Reduce the need for irrigation
- Reduce erosion and loss of top-soil and
- Restore and beautify degraded landscapes.
Talk to your quality compost supplier about the compost products that will best suit your needs.